Wednesday, March 7, 2012

New York State of Mind


Back in 2007 or 2008, I can't recall which, I logged on Facebook and had a friend request from some dude I didn't recognize. I am big on privacy when it comes to social networks since I have pictures uploaded. Instead of accepting the request, I sent a message asking if we knew each other. He replied that he didn't know me, but wanted to. He was cute so I added him. Oddly, had he been ugly I would have deleted the request.  We communicated via FB and eventually exchanged numbers.  Since we were vibing and communicating for a week, he wanted to meet up. He was not from my city, but was there for the weekend. He texted for me to meet him at the Sprint store near my then apartment. I had just gotten off work, was tired, and looked a hot mess. I told him I couldn't maker it.

The weekend proceeds and he tells me he wants to meet up before heading home to New York. Again, it's hit and miss with him. I remember leaving a house party that Saturday evening and still could not catch him. By the time I got home, he hit me up. In mid convo, his phone dies. I knew it was a bust and I was going to sleep. He was catchBing a Red Eye early Sunday morning.

Low and behold, we stay in contact with each other. This is when the most dysfunctional, most retarded "relationship" in my life began. We started talking daily and we clicked. From there he told me he wanted to fly me to New York to be his date at a friend's wedding. I agreed, but I let my friends in New York know I was going. Can't be too safe, he could be a serial killer. A day before my scheduled departure I suspected something was up. I have yet to receive flight confirmation. Sure enough he tells me the wedding has been cancelled. The groom was caught cheating two days before the wedding. Now had I been thinking, I still should have hemmed him up. Just because the wedding was over did not mean we could not hang for the weekend. I was stuck on stupid at the time and let it go. Clearly, he never bought a ticket in the first place. I am so glad I didn't buy a new outfit for the alleged wedding.

Now folks, keep up. If you notice, I still have not met this person. I have only heard a voice and seen pictures on Facebook. After that weekend, "New York" and I stay in contact. He did really sweet things such as sending flowers to my job, Edible Arrangements, gifts, phones, massages, music, etc. He never asked me for anything. At this point some of my friends were wondering if he was a Nigerian running a scam.

Time is flying by. Every time we are supposed to meet, something magically comes up. I am not going to write in detail every incident, but here's a list of just some of his excuses: I am in the emergency room for a gash, I don't want you to drive to my homeboy's house, we had a flat tire, third degree burns, I am at my grandparent's house, my dad had me go to our vacation home, I cancelled your ticket because of a business venture, you don't take this seriously, I have food poisoning, I was stopped by the police and my car was towed, I am at the gym, women aren't supposed to go to the man, the jet I rented had to land in another city, I had to evacuate for the hurricane, I was called to federal court and can't leave the city, etc. He left me hanging in Jamaica. I actually went there alone.  Might I add he refused to Skype and if I asked for a picture, there was always a delay in receiving it.

"New York" allegedly relocated to Houston from New York. He still would not meet up with me. Yes I know this is crazy that I stuck this out. I believe my OCD played a role. I like closure and this situation was bugging the hell out of me. Folks, this went on for three years....on and off. My friends even did an intervention. My family was pissed about the whole thing. What really did it for me was when my Grandfather died, and he went out to party.

Eventually, I called it quits. I couldn't play the mind game anymore. "New York" was essentially a phone pen pal never to be seen. He did have some positives though. He got me gifts and helped me launch my side business.  I personally think he is a 600 lb man that plays on the Internet, lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment