Wednesday, May 8, 2013

The Blind Date



One of my former co-workers decided she wanted to fix me up with the IT guy.  I was reluctant, but agreed to it.  She went on raving on how he's so nice, polite, and I would just love him.  Already, I am doing the side eye because my former co-worker has no idea what I like in a man, and she is a lesbian.  Boris, Benzino.......they all look the same to her.  Clearly, there is a difference.  I decide to be a good sport and go.  My former co-worker sets it all up.  All I have to do is show up at a local restaurant, and be on time.

At this point, we have had no contact and I have have no clue what he looks like.  Basically, I am going to look for a confused brown person.  I get there on time, and find a spot at the bar.  He shows up a couple of minutes later.  As he walks up, I laughed internally.  I am 5'10" and he is 5'7".  I know he has to be 130 pounds soaking wet.  Physically, I am not feeling him.

After we get a table, we begin chatting and cover the basics: job, family, and fun.  It went downhill when we discussed fun.  I am single and young.  From time to time, I will go out with friends, travel, enjoy a festival, bowling, etc.  He told me his weekends consist of reading books, doing laundry, and napping.  He then seemed so confused by my social life.  Like I am supposed to feel bad for not being a hobbit.

The waitress comes around for our order.  I just get a glass of wine.  I've already eaten prior to arrival and want to wrap this date up.  He follows suit and orders a glass, as well.  I can tell he is struggling with the wine.  He confesses that he doesn't drink and will probably only have 3 sips total.  Now I am not saying you have to drink, but damn, put on your big boy pants or order a Coke.

The meet and greet is wrapping up.  As I make my way to my car, I know I will not be contacting him for a second encounter.  Clearly, he was thinking the same thing.  The next day I get an email from him telling me it is not going to work and that he wishes me luck in my journey for love.  Damn, he beat me to it........

No comments:

Post a Comment